We know that Dry Fruits have a lot of health benefits but most of us are unaware of exactly what qualities these dry fruits have. Dry fruits are small but are powerhouse of proteins & minerals. There are many varieties in dry fruits such as almonds, raisins, cashew nuts, walnuts, pistachios, dates etc.
Health Benefits of some dry fruits/nuts:
Almonds (Badam) are known to help your body prevent cancer! The next time, if your mom forces a few almonds into your hand, don’t think, and just eat them all!
- Body organs - Almonds is one of the best foods for reducing the risk of Anemia and to improve Hemoglobin, it also helps functioning of vital organs of the body.
- Cancer and Tumor - almonds can reduce the risk of developing cancer & tumor. According to World Cancer Research Centre, almonds have several substances which could be useful in the prevention of cancer. Almonds are also found to be strong suppressors of tumor growth.
- Breast cancer - People who eat almonds may have a better chance of fighting off breast cancer. Almonds suppress breast cancer cell growth.
- Other health benefits – Almonds also help in weight loss, lowering blood pressure. It reduces the risk of recurrent coronary heart disease. It also helps in constipation
Everybody loves these delicious dried grapes but for some reason forget to eat them every day. Raisins are irreplaceable as a healthy member of the dry fruits categoryand widely used in cultural cooking around the world especially in desserts. It has lots of health benefits
- Constipation – Raisins helps giving relief for constipation because of the fiber present in them. Besides reducing constipation, they can also help to stop loose stools.
- Weight Gain - Raisins are very good for gaining weight, as they are full of fructose and glucose and give a lot of energy. They form an ideal part of a diet for athletes or body builders who need powerful boosts of energy.
- Anemia - Raisins contain iron which directly helps treating anemia. It also contains vitamins that are essential for the formation of new blood.
- Bone Health – Raisins are good source of Calcium, which is the main element of our bones. It also contains Boron, which helps in bone formation and efficient absorption of calcium.
- Eye Care - Anti oxidant present in Raisins are very good for eye health, as they protect eyes from macular degeneration, age related weakening of vision, cataract, etc. In addition, raisins contain a very good amount of vitamin A.
- Dental Care – Raisins protects your teeth against tooth cavities, decay, brittleness of teeth, etc. Raisins are rich in calcium that is very good for promoting dental health, it prevents breaking or peeling away of teeth.
Cashew Nut (Kaju)
We use them mostly in sweets and children love to eat them. They help keep you energetic and maintain your body weight. Cashews are full of anti-oxidants, vitamins and minerals which are required for the normal functioning of the body.
- Heart – Cashews have no cholesterol. Cashews contain healthy monounsaturated fat that promotes good cardiovascular health.
- Protein - Cashew nuts provide protein and fiber to body.
- Cancer - Cashews are rich in antioxidants that help in the elimination of free radicals which are one of the causes of cancer.
- Energy food - Cashews have high copper content and is vital in energy production, greater flexibility in blood vessels, bones and joints. It is an energizing food.
- Weight management – The high energy density and high amount of dietary fiber in Cashews both are attributes to a beneficial effect on weight management.
- Bones and teeth – Cashews are a good source of magnesium; this works with calcium to support healthy muscles and bones in the body. The combination also helps maintain healthy gums and teeth.
- Menopause - Cashews contain magnesium, which helps the body cope with stress, helping promote normal sleep patterns in menopausal women
Pistachios are one of the oldest nuts that were commonly used in the world.The health benefits of pistachios include a healthy heart, weight management, protection against diabetes and hypertension. The nuts of pistachio are not seasonal and are available all year long.
- Stable Blood Sugar - The University of Toronto performed a study that showed that pistachios may stabilize blood sugar levels and can be a good snack item for diabetics.
- Fiber - Pistachios contain higher amounts of fiber that helps keep the digestive system operating normally and prevents constipation.
- Digestion - Pistachios contain fiber, which helps people feel fuller for longer periods of time. Fiber helps keep the digestive system operating normally and prevents constipation.
- Eye Health - Pistachios contain a wide variety of nutrients called carotenoids that are beneficial to eye health.
- Protein - Pistachio nuts are an excellent source of vegetable protein. Pistachios eaten with grains, vegetables, and fruits, can help you add complete protein to your diet.
- Heart - The nut contains good fats that can help lower cholesterol and reduce risk of heart disease. Pistachios also provide with a healthy dose of vitamin B6 that helps prevent cardiovascular diseases.
Walnuts are among the oldest tree foods grown by man. Walnuts are an excellent source of anti-inflammatory omega-3 essential fatty acids. walnuts are immensely rich in nutrition and their benefits ranging from metabolism to heart health and beauty.
- Omega 3 - Walnuts are the only nuts that have omega-3 fatty acids in high amounts. These nutrients provide anti-inflammatory benefits in asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, eczema and psoriasis.
- Sleep – Melatonin present in walnuts is a powerful antioxidant that induces a good night's sleep.
- Brain food - Nearly 60% of our brain structure is fats which are primarily omega-3 fatty acids. Walnuts are also called the 'brain food' because they provide plenty of omega-3.
- Heart - Omega-3 fatty acids prevents erratic heart rhythms and regulates plaque formation in blood vessels, and the essential amino acid l-arginine in walnuts improves the elasticity of blood vessels improving cardiovascular health.
- Laxative - These nuts are helpful in easing constipation due to their laxative effects.
- Protein - Walnuts are an excellent source of a proteins, fiber, B vitamins and minerals like iron, magnesium, phosphorus, copper and manganese.
- Cancer - Its anticancer properties also help in fighting the dreaded disease.
- Black walnuts - Black walnuts prevent heartburn, high blood pressure and various skin disorders. It gets rid of intestinal parasites and tapeworms and helps in ensuring proper functioning of the thyroid gland.
- Alzheimer’s disease – Research indicates that walnuts may reduce the risk of Alzheimer's disease by arresting the formation of the amyloid plaques that are found in the brains of patients who suffer from this disease.